In support of the strategic plan, this committee recommends strategies and policies to strengthen AGU journals and books. The Publications Committee reports to the AGU Board and Council.
Lisa Tauxe, Scripps Institution of Oceanography, La Jolla, CA
Amanda Bielskas, Columbia University, New York, NY
Peter Brantley, The New York Public Library, New York, NY
Susan Cheng, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI
Sunje Dallmeier-Tiessen, CERN-Scientific Information Service, Meyrin, Switzerland
Carol Frost, NSF, Arlington, VA
Peng Gong, Tsinghua University, Beijing, China
Bryn Hubbard, Aberystwyth University, Ceredigion, UK
Bob Lysak, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN
Steve Mackwell, Penn State University, College Park, PA
Joy Moore, Consultant, Marblehead, MA
Marc Parlange, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada
Robert Pincus, University of Colorado, Boulder, CO
Yusuke Yokoyama, University of Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan
Brooks Hanson, Executive Vice President, Science
The Publications Committee works on behalf of the AGU Board and Council to advance the Union’s scientific publishing agenda. The committee provides input into the overall strategy for peer-reviewed journals and books, recommends policies that support AGU’s publishing goals, ensures the appointment of journal Editors-in-Chief, and reviews annual performance of journals and scientific publishing. The committee partners with AGU leadership, staff, editors, other committees, and sections to accomplish its work. The Publications Committee plays a key role in communicating and promoting AGU’s scientific publishing agenda, working in conjunction with AGU leaders.
- Review the overall portfolio of journals and books, and provide input into a multiyear strategy.
- Recommend policies and guidelines that support AGU’s mission and strategic goal of “becoming a scientific leader, collaborator and sought after partner for scientific innovation, rigor and interdisciplinary focus on global issues.”
- Help determine the metrics needed to annually review journal performance. Review the performance and identify strengths and concerns to the AGU Board and Council.
- Using the criteria and policies already in place, form search committees for needed Editors-in-Chief (EIC) and make EIC recommendations to the Council Leadership Team.
- Work to clarify the role of the Publications Committee in the organization, and serve as a conduit of information between AGU leadership and other volunteers involved in publishing with a particular focus on editors.
The committee meets in-person early in the year, and virtually throughout the year as needed. Current dates are:
- 1stquarter 2018: Orientation of new committee members; in-person meeting with EiC’s
- April 2018: Joint Committee meeting (virtual)
- Late Summer 2018: Publications Committee meeting (virtual)
- December 2018: Pubs Committee Chair presentation of items as necessary to Board and Council and in-person meeting at Fall Meeting
Questions about this committee can be directed to Brooks Hanson (firstname.lastname@example.org).