The Council is responsible for the scientific affairs of AGU and plays three distinct roles: forming science policy, generating and deliberating science-related ideas, and advising on science and member issues. The Council works together with the Board, committees/task forces/volunteers, and staff to advance AGU’s strategic plan.
The following committees work on behalf of the Council. All committees/task forces provide reports to the Board and Council twice a year.
Committees that report to the Council:
- Council Leadership Team, chaired by the AGU President-elect
- Honors & Recognition, chair serves as Council member
Committees that report to the Honors and Recognition Committee:
- Union Fellows Committee, chair serves as Honors and Recognition Committee member
- Union Award Selection Committees
- Union Medal Selection Committees
- Union Prize Selection Committees