Lisa Tauxe, Scripps Institution of Oceanography, La Jolla, CA
Richard Blakely, United States Geological Survey, Palo Alto, California
Peter Brantley, The New York Public Library, New York, NY
Susan Cheng, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI
Sunje Dallmeier-Tiessen, CERN-Scientific Information Service, Meyrin, Switzerland
Alex Frost, Alex Frost Consulting, Boston, Massachusetts
Bryn Hubbard, Aberystwyth University, Ceredigion, UK
Judith Lean, Naval Research Laboratory, Washington, District of Columbia
Sara Mikaloff-Fletcher, NIWA, Wellington, New Zealand
Mark Moldwin, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan
Marc Parlange, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada
Emily Wild, US Geological Survey, Denver, CO
Brooks Hanson, Dirctor, Publications
In support of the strategic plan, this committee recommends strategies and policies to strengthen AGU journals and books. The Publications Committee reports to the AGU Board and Council.
The Publications Committee works on behalf of the AGU Board and Council to advance the Union’s scientific publishing agenda. The committee provides input into the overall strategy for peer-reviewed journals and books, recommends policies that support AGU’s publishing goals, ensures the appointment of journal Editors-in-Chief, and reviews annual performance of journals and scientific publishing. The committee partners with AGU leadership, staff, editors, other committees, and sections/focus groups to accomplish its work. The Publications Committee plays a key role in communicating and promoting AGU’s scientific publishing agenda, working in conjunction with AGU leaders.
Key Initiatives for 2015-2016:
- Review the overall portfolio of journals and books, and provide input into a multiyear strategy.
- Recommend policies and guidelines that support AGU’s mission and strategic goal of “becoming a scientific leader, collaborator and sought after partner for scientific innovation, rigor and interdisciplinary focus on global issues.”
- Help determine the metrics needed to annually review journal performance. Review the performance and identify strengths and concerns to the AGU Board and Council.
- Using the criteria and policies already in place, form search committees for needed Editors-in-Chief (EIC) and make EIC recommendations to the Council Leadership Team.
- Work to clarify the role of the Publications Committee in the organization, and serve as a conduit of information between AGU leadership and other volunteers involved in publishing with a particular focus on editors.
The committee meets at AGU headquarters in May, and virtually throughout the year as needed. Current dates are:
- 1st quarter 2015: Orientation of new committee members
- March 2015/2016: Joint Committee meeting (virtual)
- June 2015/2016: Publications Committee meeting in DC
- October 2015/2016: Publications Committee meeting (virtual)
- December 2015/2016: Pubs Committee Chair presentation of items as necessary to Board and Council